Most of the week was filled with ordinary day-to-day stuff.  Meaning that once in a while I got to do honest-to-God “librarian” activities like recommend good books to teens who were looking for books they would enjoy or to teachers looking for suggestions for books to share with their classes.  That was … like … 5% of the time?  The other 95% was mind-numbing stuff like checking in and checking out materials, helping people open email attachments, pointing out the location of the restroom, telling kids to stop running, telling teenagers to please for the love of God keep it down, etc.

Luckily I had other stuff going on to prevent my brain from becoming completely numb.

I completed a blog post for my library’s website that got some positive attention (as usual, I’m torn between wondering if this is because of my excellent writing skills or because I chose to write about books with cool covers).

I’m finishing up some work with a book committee on a long-thought-dead project which might actually see the light of day this year.  Okay, it won’t see PRINT because we can’t afford to frigging print anything anymore, but it should see the DIGITAL light of day, which is better than nothing.

I’ve been selected to work on a new book committee starting in the spring.  On the one hand this makes me happy, but on the other hand it pisses me off because we HAD perfectly good book committees before they were all disassembled several years ago.  I’ve also been invited to speak at a staff training in the spring, which on the one hand makes me happy but on the other hand serves to remind me that there are so few people left in my library system with my years of experience as a young adult librarian.  And so it goes, around and around.

I’ve been watching some very good TV shows lately.  Justified is back on FX (woo-hoo!) and Raylan Givens is sexier than ever, Helix on Syfy has been delivering some great edge-of-your-seat suspense, and the first episode of True Detective on HBO looked reeeeally good.  Okay, and Downton Abbey has also been very good, even though the last episode took my soul and stomped on it (damn you, Downton Abbey!)

And speaking of quality entertainment, this list of books coming out as movies this year has been getting me psyched to go to the movies more often.  And, you know, also read some books in the meantime.

And speaking of … uhm … NOT-quality entertainment, I’m considering another attempt at a Razzie project.  This is a little bit like “considering another attempt at climbing Mt. Everest.”  Several years ago, I got it in my head to try to watch as many of the Razzie-nominated films as possible.  That was the year that included both The Love Guru and The Hottie and the Nottie, and it damned near killed me.  This year’s Razzie nominees include After Earth (which I’ve seen, and which was pretty painful), Movie 43 (which I’m genuinely interested in seeing, although I’ve heard it’s a train wreck), and The Lone Ranger (which I’m … slightly interested in seeing?).  However, this year’s nominees ALSO include Grown-Ups 2 (and I’ve always avoided Adam Sandler movies) and A Madea Christmas (ditto for Madea movies).  So I’m trying to figure out the level of my intestinal fortitude here.  If I DO try to watch all of those movies, how much of my mind will be left afterwards?  But, of course, the entire exercise WOULD make a good blog post …

I’ve also been doing lots of reading.  Today I finished Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson, which is an EXCELLENT spin on the Bluebeard fairy tale.

And the other way I’ve stopped my mind from going numb is by going on long walks, eating good food, and (as usual) taking pictures along the way:

Random Smiley Face on Riverdale AvenueRandom smiley face on Riverdale Avenue

Seahorse SilhouetteSeahorse Silhouette

Hot Chocolates at PalombosHot chocolates at Palombo’s

Broadway Bridge View at DuskBroadway Bridge view at dusk

Bo Burger at Mels BurgersMy dinner tonight was this “Bo Burger” at Mel’s Burger Bar.  It was topped with onion rings, cheddar cheese, bacon, and (God help me) a fried egg.  OMG, I have to lie down just thinking about it!

A Growler of Arrogant Bastard AleA growler of Arrogant Bastard Ale

Ceiling and Wall Detail at 110th StCeiling and wall detail at 110th Street

110th St Sign110th Street sign

Advertisements