First off, in the potentially good news department, we MIGHT be able to move into a larger apartment in our building very soon.  Of course, this plan relies on being able to contact someone at our building management company.  Who, up until now, are not answering their phones, not responding to my voicemail or a priority overnight letter sent by the woman who is moving and needs someone to pick up her lease.  Oh, and the management company’s fax machine seems to be out of order, as well.  So part of my vacation might be spent hauling myself downtown to visit the management company offices in person.  Which on the one hand will suck, but on the other hand should resolve the issue once and for all.

So in other news … you know that awkward “third wheel” feeling?  Where there are three of you, but there should really be two of you, and YOU are the one who should leave?  Well, yesterday I had that feeling TWICE IN ONE DAY.  I spent the morning with my boyfriend and his daughter, who had been going through a Personal Crisis and thus had spent the night at our apartment.  So I’d asked my boyfriend several times if I should leave or if he wanted to take her out for a walk or out for a drive so that they could talk about her Personal Crisis.  He said no, so instead the three of us spent hours together in my tiny studio apartment.  Sometimes we didn’t talk at all, and sometimes we did talk, but we talked about anything else EXCEPT the Personal Crisis.  And then I’d get up to go to the bathroom or to change my clothes, and as soon as I left the room they’d start talking about more serious subjects.  And then I just decided that I would go in to work a little early and leave the two of them alone.

So, yes, I was going into work even though I’m on vacation.  That’s because one of our central programming people scheduled a multi-part teen program that extended into my vacation time.  Since I try not to create extra work for my staff (and since I was going to be in town), I arranged to give back several hours of my vacation time to come in and cover the program.  So the woman who’s leading the program is doing several different things with the teens, and one of those things is a personal interview.  Since they were going to be conducting the interviews that afternoon, the program leader asked me if I would leave the room so she and one of the girls could talk.  While this was not standard practice, it isn’t without precedence — during one of the earlier sessions, the teens interviewed each other and ALL of the adults left the room.  Anyway, I took off and hung out in my office, checking my email while waves of deja vu swept over me.

One of the other chaotic things that happened this week was that I finally had my long-awaited appointment with the Ear Nose & Throat specialist that my primary care doctor referred me to.  One of the highlights of my visit was that I scored 100% on the hearing test (I was hoping to learn that I’d scored 150% and that I was officially diagnosed with a superpower, but I guess I’ll settle for 100%).  I saw THREE different medical professionals before I got to see the doctor I was actually expecting to see, which might explain why I was at the hospital for THREE FRIGGING HOURS.  Fifteen minutes of which were spent with the ENT specialist whose name was on my calendar.

Anyway, we’re making some progress.

I’ve been told that I should do the Brandt-Doroff exercises rather than the Epley Maneuver (which is what had stopped working for me earlier this summer).  She gave me a handout with an overview of BPPV (Benign Proxymal Positional Vertigo) and a diagram of how to do the exercises.  I don’t know exactly how old this handout is, but I’m going to guess it’s a 10th-generation copy of a faxed copy of a mimeograph.  Seriously, though.  What’s their budget for handouts?

The doctor also was surprised and possibly alarmed that I had been taking pseudophedrine (to alleviate my sinus pressure) and meclizine (to alleviate my dizzsiness) for four months, and she wanted me to stop taking both of them.  I told her that I would stop taking them as politely as possible, by which I mean I didn’t say BUT IT’S ONLY BEEN FOUR MONTHS BECAUSE I HAD TO WAIT FOUR MONTHS FOR THIS FRIGGING APPOINTMENT!!!  Anyway, the good news is that the Flonase inhaler is still okay for me to take, and she gave me a new prescription for that.

I guess one of the most vital pieces of advice she gave me is that if I get another vertigo attack, the vertigo will pass more quickly if I keep my eyes open.  Which is the exact opposite of my previous technique of being so panicked that it looked like the world was spinning around me that I immediately shut my eyes.  I started doing the exercises today, and I made sure to keep my eyes open as much as possible.  I felt slightly dizzy while I was doing them, and felt lightheaded for about an hour afterwards.  But she said that was normal, and that it’s going to take several weeks of doing these exercises to make me better.  At least I’m starting this while I’m on vacation, so if I do feel woozy and crash into something, it will be a piece of my own furniture rather than one of my library patrons.

Anyway, that’s been the most chaotic stuff so far.  I’ve also been doing some cooking (more on my Crock Pot adventures in a future post!) and catching up on podcasts.  Over the next few days I’ll also be catching up with some reading, and maybe a movie or two.