That would be 116 ways, to be exact.  Since we were “allowed” to come in early this morning, I was able to get an extra two hours of weeding done.  That means I had the time to identify and pull all of these books from foreign locales off of my shelves in order to make them less congested.  I also had time to grab some books of MINE that were in poor condition / out-of-date / etc. , but there were only ten of those.  I also had time to reshelve most of what was on my book truck, and to pinpoint problem areas that our page and volunteers could work on (I’m pretty sure that whoever last shelved my 900’s section must have been suffering from an eye infection that day, because they’re completely jumbled).

I’d like to say that my efforts this morning mean that my interaction with these books, at least, is over and done with.  And yet most of them are still with us, waiting patiently on a truck for me to reassign them and send them back to their respective branches.  Because if I dropped them in an outgoing bin now, they’d just take a scenic tour of the city for a week or more and then wind up back on my shelves, no matter what their property labels said.  The steps I have to take to reassign these items back to their original branches in Millennium are labor-intensive, to say the least:

  • Check in all 116 items to see if any of them are reserved for patrons in our system (cross ten items off of the list).  And then …
  • scan barcode
  • double-click highlighted item (out of the list of all copies of that title in our system)
  • wait for the record to open
  • double-click “location”
  • scroll up or down to find the location you want to send it to (this takes longer than you might think, because the locations are not in the most logical order, and once you find the right location, you must also pinpoint the name of the collection within that library where you want the item to go)
  • double click the branch/collection that you’ve chosen
  • ETA: change status from “available” to “in transit”
  • click “save”
  • wait for the record to be saved
  • click “close”
  • click in the barcode field
  • delete the previous barcode
  • and THEN start the process all over again, repeating as many times as necessary (in this case, over 100)

I never realized how much I would miss the Dynix system.  It was so … INTUITIVE!!!  *sob*

And this task is going to be even more difficult in the future, because we’re switching over to “universal” property labels now.  So in the future, if I find a few books (or, say, a hundred of them) that are in perfectly good shape but I just don’t have the room for them … how will I know where to send them???

You know, all this thinking is making my brain hurt.

ETA: I just added the “in transit” step after I had an epiphany today.  I realized that in the Dynix system we would change each item’s location and then check it in, which would automatically change the status of the item to “in transit” from our location to the new location.  But we can’t do that anymore — now that floating collections are in place, if we check it in, it automatically belongs to us again.  So what I realized was that if we only changed the collection code and put the item in a bin, for the week or more that the item was in transit it would say it was “available” when it might not even be in the same borough.  It also might explain why I have been going out of my mind lately looking for books and DVDs that Millennium claims are checked in, but which I cannot find AT ALL.  Anyway, one of my quick-thinking clerks suggested the “in transit” solution, so this is what we’re going to try from now on.  Hopefully it will reduce our clutter, as well as the chaos.

Advertisements