If you were anywhere near New York City or other parts of the northeast today, I’m sorry.  Believe me, I empathize.  I’m home from work, sitting on hot furniture, caressed by the hot breezes made by our hot fans, and listening to the compressor of our dying air conditioner periodically make unhappy decompressing noises.

I woke up at 3:00 this morning, and I felt so sweaty amd so disgusting that I was physically unable to fall back asleep.  So I took a cool shower in the dark at 3:30, and then sat on the couch listening to podcasts while my damp hair offered me the illusion of coolness.  Then around 5 am I noticed that the cat was getting sick.  At first I thought he’d eaten something bad again, but then I saw that he kept lying down and panting.  My vet’s office wasn’t going to open for several hours, and I was getting panicked. We tried to make him as comfortable as possible, while I went online to look for emergency treatment ideas.  I started with simple concepts like putting a cool wet towel around him, which had limited success because he kept using the last of his strength to escape the towel, walk two feet away, and lie down again.  I put bowls of water and ice out for him in various locations throughout the apartment, but he wouldn’t touch them.  My panic must have reached an infinitely high level, because I found myself trying a procedure that vets use in heatstroke emergencies to lower the pet’s body temperature … submerging the animal in an ice bath.

Yeah, that went about as well as you might expect.

So after I disengaged his claws from my nightgown and apologized profusely for being so mean to him, I did notice one thing.  He’d stopped panting, at least.  He was very wet and he was glaring at me, but it did seem to pick his spirits up a little.

Cut to my arrival at the library, where the sight of the cooling company vans parked outside  filled me with dread.  The good news was that the AC was functioning.  The bad news was that the maintenance people were going to be “working on it” throughout the day.  So, they HAD to pick the 100-degree day to keep switching units on and off and cleaning them?  All day I had patrons complaining about the AC or lack thereof, even coming up to me and fanning themselves like Blanche DuBois waiting for a Coke with plenty of chipped ice.

And then in the middle of this hot and sweaty day, someone had the nerve to steal one of our laptops.

By which I mean, a lady had just closed her laptop and was going to return it to the front desk when a guy came up to her table, grabbed the laptop, and ran out of the library.  Unfortunately, the delayed reaction time between the actual theft and her first verbal cue that something was wrong (“Oh, no he didn’t!”) meant that by the time I looked up to see what was going on, I only saw the back of his head as he disappeared down the stairs.  So the authorities came and went, and hopefully they’ll be able to use the built-in tracker to locate and return our almost-brand-new equipment to us.

And in the meantime, we wait.  And sweat.