That’s what a patron said to me during the last hour of the day while I was at the service desk.
Ironically, I’m pretty sure that this patron (whom we shall refer to from now on as the Evil Weatherman for reasons that make sense to me) was SPECIFICALLY PUT ON THIS EARTH to annoy me. Anyway, you can all be very proud of me for biting my tongue and not responding to his statement by saying any or all of the following:
- You, sir, are a dick.
- The world does not revolve around you.
- You know, people would be more likely to help you if you didn’t speak with such an insulting / patronizing / insulting tone ALL THE TIME.
- I acknowledge and understand the fact that you are upset that I wasn’t able to give you an extension on your computer appointment. However, coming up to me when I’m in the middle of helping another patron and demanding that I extend your appointment because you ONLY HAVE A MINUTE LEFT is not the best approach.
- Neither was berating me afterwards because I dared to walk away from you … even though the reason I walked away was to help that patron who was there before you.
- Neither was responding to my explanation that if you came up to the desk with only one minute left on your appointment, there wouldn’t be enough time to grant an extension with, “Well, how much IS enough time, then???”
- Neither was telling me that the library was there to serve its patrons, who support their library and write letters to politicians to support the library.
- Because honestly, we don’t need support letters from the likes of you.
*SIGH* Okay, now that’s out of my system. Here’s hoping for the spirit of “out with the old and in with the new” for the new year! And for some more positivity, stay tuned for my comedy podcast recommendations that I’ll be posting later on tonight.
Happy New Year, Dear Readers!